Newspaper: Trump planned to attack Iran last week but backtracked
President Donald Trump asked for options to attack Iran’s main nuclear site last week, but ultimately decided not to take the dramatic step, a U.S. official said Monday.
The official said Trump made the request during a meeting last Thursday with his top national security aides, including Vice President Mike Pence, Acting Secretary of Defense Christopher Miller, and General Mark Mille, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
The New York Times reported that advisers persuaded Trump not to go ahead with the strike because of the risk of wider conflict.
official said: “Ask for options, give him scenarios, and ultimately decide not to move forward.”
Trump, who took office in early 2017, has pursued a policy of “extreme pressure” on Iran, particularly since his decision to unilaterally withdraw from the 2018 nuclear deal and reimpose harsh economic sanctions on it.